View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Even if I add the copy that calibre has forgotten about I have to hand edit some entries.

Tags that came with books that I delete pop back up. I don't know why. I don't want to automatic merge because I can miss books that way. It's tedious but I want to make sure every book is replaced.
If you're hand editing, it sounds like you want to do more than just repoint the old entries. You may find the following search to be useful:

Code:
formats:false
It will show you all records that don't have any actual books in them. That's how I'd make sure that I missed no records if I was doing it automatically. I assume that you had at least one book format in each record before you had your problem.

Quote:
One issue I have with the merge is that it won't delete tags from later selected books. I assume it was designed that way, but that's a big part of what I'm trying to accomplish.
Merge is designed to keep all the metadata it can, without losing any, so yes, if you have a tag in any of the merged records, it's kept. If you don't want certain tags, you can always delete them.

Quote:
A way to change the M shortcut to keep all the books would be helpful. That seems like it would be the most common use—to merge books in different formats without losing any of the books.
You should have only one record for each book, with all the formats for that book in that single record. That's what the "merge with delete others" does, it produces that single record, keeps all metadata in all the records, and gets rid of duplicate formats and extra records.

That's the most common use, by far. In fact, I almost didn't include the "merge-keep others" option, as that wasn't even in my mind when I started to write the code.

The "merge-keep others" option is used far less often. It's mostly used to make copies of other records for testing, or where you want to keep two different versions of the book in the same format (I have a collection of two column pdf classics and another collection of single column pdf classics that I keep.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote