View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
jissa
Tsarina of All Hedgehogs
jissa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I third the sentiments that the 900 is worth the extra money--I find pdf's pretty much unreadable on the 600, but the 900's extra screen real estate and contrast really make all the difference in the world.

The wireless features are nice, and I may use them more in the future but for right now I've found subscribing to the periodicals to be not worth the money. It is fun to browse through the books Sony has available for free if you're stuck somewhere random and bored, but definitely not a deal breaker.

It also appears that Sony is focusing on the 900 and 300 as the way of the future, leaving the 600 behind a bit. Currently this means that the 900 has top of the line epub support and firmware, while the 600 does not.

If you are mostly planning on reading drm free regular ebooks and find the current readability of your 600 acceptable, none of these issues probably matter to you, as you can convert any drm free regular ebook into a pretty nicely formatted lrf using Calibre (although I understand that calibre itself is backing off future support of lrf). However, if you want to read the books from the sony store, or any other drm store (with the obvious exception of Amazon. There you are stuck breaking the drm if you want to do anything), you may very well want the extra epub support.
jissa is offline   Reply With Quote