Thread: i62 anyone?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
MikeOnyx,

Here' what I want in it:

1. wide margins (in landscape mode at least 1 cm on each side needed - the width of text should be about 9 cm as in a regular printed paperback, not 11 cm)
A real deal breaker. Even though it could be fixed later with a firmware update, such a firmware update may never come.

2. Easy to read fonts, such as Amasis on T1.
Best - if additional fonts could be installed by the user.
Also a deal breaker - what is the point if a reader has only unacceptable to me fonts and there is no way to add your own?

3. it should be strong and rugged and should not need a protective cover.
Now that the screen is flexible, the rest should be just as impossible to damage.

4. Because the screen is plastic, I want the device itself to be not black, not white, not gray, but of matching color, EXACTLY as much as possible the same color as the screen and equally opaque. Of course, the plastic screen probably still looks sort-of like glass, or like laminated paper, but even for readers with glass screens the color ought to be matching the color of the screen as close as possible.

5. SD (or micro SD) card support - I always use 32 GB cards - a deal breaker (almost).

6. multi format support, best would be CR3 running on it. Also would solve margins.
I also need internal or external file manager supporting nested folders and the list (stack) of last opened books of unlimited length.

7. good and easy to use dictionaries?
A good interface is important, the dictionaries themselves could be added as needed.

I like Wexler's weight and ruggedness, but it does not meet my other requirements, unfortunately.
If it turns out that it supports wide enough margins and allows to install fonts, I might go with Wexler even without an SD card. It's weight is only 1/2 of a typical 6" reader with a protective cover. And you can just drop it casually anywhere, or fall asleep while reading -no problem, you will find it on the floor.

I am a bit worried that the new Onyx may be much heavier and, even though the screen is plastic, the case itself may not be strong enough and could break if dropped to the floor.
It would be absurd if it needs a protective cover thus increasing its weight further.

I think that all my requirements are very reasonable. They are minimal requirements for comfortable reading. And I think that even without my feedback they should be pretty obvious to e-reader designers.

Last edited by parkher; 05-17-2012 at 08:48 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote