View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
See my responses ===> **

Quote:
Originally Posted by croyd View Post
Hi all,

I just started looking into an eReader and I was looking at the Kobo Vox tablet. I have a few questions for Kobo Vox owners and other folks who have returned it.

1) Why choose a tablet reader over a dedicated ereader? What are the main advantages and disadvantages?
**Advantages: Lots of different options in one device (reading books, reading mags, watching movies, listening to music and surfing the web, email); Reading Life and Pulse for Kobo books; Can read in low light;
**Disadvantages: Vox is heavier and more bulky than WiFi; Vox battery is drained more quickly; Vox is backlit - which makes reading hard on the eyes or hard to read outside; Vox cannot be sideloaded with books (like library books), so different apps must be used for reading outside of the Kobo app; Kobo customer support is not great. But, most of us manage without instant help from them, because we usually get it HERE!

2) For Kobo Vox owners, what are the best strengths in your opinion on the Vox?
**Versatility. I think it will be great for travel. Only one device to bring. Should last for my day of flying. Lots of entertainment options to keep me busy on the plane, plus WiFi access at the hotels.
**Size. The 7" tablets are the perfect size for putting in your purse, large pocket, or small briefcase. iPads are too big.
**Android. You can download free apps to suit your needs. You can root the device to suit your needs. You can get native email. You can watch movies you download.
**External storage. Store your large files (like your movies) on the external SD card.

3) What are its' weakest points and why? Could you please prioritize them as the weakest one being the first in the list.

**Glitchy. iPads are solid devices. Android devices have their issues. Kobo updates seem to not always be 100% successful. There are still a few bugs for them to work out, but nothing that's stopped me or made me speak badly of the product.
**Battery. It lasts about 7-8 hours, but only with WiFi off. When WiFi is on, maybe 4-5, depending on what you are doing. Sleep still seems to drain the battery.
**Touch screen. It's not the best. It's okay, but in comparison the iPad, you can see a difference.

4) For Kobo Vox folks that returned them, why did you return the product and how long did you spend with it before you returned it?

**My brother-in-law returned his. I think it was too hard for him to move past the glitches. He's not PC savvy, so no patience to deal with problems and issues with kobo updates.

5) For people that chose another ereader, what was the the reason?

**I have friends that have chosen the Nook (because books are cheaper and have a lending feature) and the Kindle (because there are more books to choose from on Amazon and Kindle is more popular).

**I also have the Kobo WiFi (well, two of them!) and love them for reading. I love that I can borrow library books and sideload them through ADE on my PC.
Thanks,
Croyd
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote