View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The description of the change is not clearly worded. I read it as having two parts. Preventing books that contain formatting that is disallowed under Enhanced Typesetting from being published and also setting new requirements for the formatting of large tables.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Yes, the messages are often quite technical. For example "Embedded Images are not supported in Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG). Please use our suggested alternative found here ( https://www.amazon.com/en_US/guidanc...svg_base64_url ) to resolve this issue."
Great. I envision that my time-donation factor at KDP is going to expand, and not in a fun way, dammit.

Quote:
Messages like that one also state "You currently have the option to upload this book without making the correction (more details here ( https://www.amazon.com/en_US/guidanc...period_warning )). Please note Enhanced Typesetting will not be enabled without making the correction." The "gracefull_period" (SP) is what will end later this month.
Yes, in about two weeks, right?

Quote:
However there appear to be some loopholes. One of the most common error messages produced by the Kindle Previewer is "Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error while enabling Enhanced Typesetting on this book. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Amazon is actively working to provide books that are free of internal errors. For now, we recommend to upload this book without Enhanced Typesetting." I assume that means the book will still be allowed to be published even though it will not support Enhanced Typesetting.
Great. So you can eat bugs too. (sigh).

Quote:
Another example is "Pseudo selector counter type is not supported in Enhanced Typesetting. Unfortunately, Kindle does not currently support this markup. Amazon is actively working on this error. For now, we recommend to upload this book without Enhanced Typesetting enabled." That message also appears to explicitly give the publisher a pass on that problem.
Are these the pseudo-selectors that KDP claims that it doesn't support, but which seem to work (other than in ye olden KF7, of course)?

Quote:
In the end I think that this change will provide lots of new business for professional e-book formatters like Hitch.
Honestly, this is biz I probably don't really want. Not that I don't want customers, don't get me wrong; but the people who come to us, by and large (not all, of course), have made a conscious decision to seek assistance; they've researched it and they've made a conscious decision to spend what they spend with us, versus Fiverrs and the like. (Obviously, being US-owned and operated, we're not as...affordable...as many outsourcing solutions.) But I've found that when people come to me in desperation--their eBooks won't/don't work, some other formatter screwed it up, their print book won't ingest and so forth, our rates always seem to be shocking to them and I've ended up wasting my emails and all that. (sigh).

Quote:
I doubt that will be much of a factor in this situation. Any Enhanced Typesetting problem with a Word document that prevents it from being directly published will also prevent Kindle Create from accepting that document since KC performs the same checks during import.
Yes, that's my take on it, too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote