View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM
It seems as if the Cool-Er actually compiles the entire firmware. (The firmware package content looks like that too, though I didn't really check too closely.)
The update includes a complete Linux installation that it boots into. This way it doesn't have to relay on what is installed on the hardware. It appears the ability to startup and hand off control to the system on the SD card is not affected by the installed firmware. Once the Linux system boots it runs a few scripts to copy the firmware components (kernel, uboot, filesystem) onto the device. Those components are already compiled and located in the files directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM
It takes a long time till it responds ...
How long did you have to wait? I've been trying to get it on my Cybook but after 15 minutes nothing. I'm going to assume the hardware is different enough that it isn't actually booting into the installer. Or Bookeen has done something to prevent any firmware but their own from being installed.