Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #284
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'd like to propose a change to be implemented whenever appropriate (i.e. probably the beginning of 2016) that just occurred to me while thinking about how nice it is this month that we got to the poll sooner. Years ago nominations would be over within a matter of days but in the last year or so and especially the last six months or so it's often stretched out into the entire nomination period with many months lasting the entire allowed length, which is currently till the end of the month so usually ten or eleven days. With poll ties, this can lead to situations like March where we didn't have a winner until only ten days before the discussion thread and nominations for the next month started.

After now having experienced nominations taking the entire allowed period a good amount of times and it seeming like this might be more the rule now than the exception, I don't think I see any real advantage in keeping them that long. Most of the nominations are still done in the beginning with usually at most only a few votes in the last several days if any at all. This can lead to a stagnation of mostly nothing happening for the last four or five days of nominations. I propose we shorten nominations to five days (the 25th) or seven days (the 27th, a week if you want to give a couple extra days just in case). I think that's still more than enough time for anyone interested to have their say and will let us get on with deciding our pick in a more timely fashion.

I'm actually fine with keeping the nomination period as it is if Tom or the majority prefers it (after all, either way we'll probably be keeping it that way through 2015 anyway). It's not a big deal, but if others like the idea then I do think that it could be good for the club.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote