View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I've just watched this video and I'm astonished by the typesetting machine. One of my first jobs was at a small printing company. My "typesetting" was done my computer but from there, the process was almost as labor intensive and manual. From laser printer output to the darkroom where a negative and then metal plates are made for the press. The ink was mixed by hand. If the item needed 2 colors, there were 2 plates for the project. The pressman ran the first color with one plate, let the ink dry on the paper, changed plates and ink, and ran the paper through the press a second time. We had a folding machine, but booklet signatures had to be collated by hand. Oh yeah, this was in 1997.

I don't think I've ever seen a modern video that covers the entire process from start to finish. That would be interesting.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote