View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
DragonsDream
DragonsDream began at the beginning.

Device: none
merging and renaming duplicates

Hi!
First post here from a new user.

I am about to scan in several hundred ebooks/stories/downloaded web pages of fan fiction in Calibre. I have many stories in multiple formats and sometime in multiple locations. One of the things I want to do is find all my (exact) duplicates and be able to delete all but one. I'm pretty clear on how to do this in Calibre. However, I also want to find duplicate file names that aren't necessarily exact duplicate files and merge them into one record without deleting either file (at least until I compare them).

Let me see if I can explain with an example:

In Drive X in scanned folder "Fan Fiction from Some Cool Web Site" I have the files:
Stargate SG1 - The Best Story Ever.epub
Stargate SG1 - The Best Story Ever.html

and in Drive Y in scanned folder "Fan Fiction I grabbed from Newsgroups 15 years ago" I have the file:
Stargate SG1 - The Best Story Ever.html
except that this html is one I made myself from an original text file.

Now, when I scan Drive X, Calibre will create one entry for "Stargate SG1 - The Best Story Ever" and include 2 formats for it. This is great.

What I am concerned with though is when I scan Drive Y and it finds "Stargate SG1 - The Best Story Ever.html" again. I can tell it to add it anyway even though it's a dupe, and I wind up with a second entry for the title. If I want to merge this entry with the first one, I can't find a way to add the 2nd HTML as yet another version of the first entry. I want to do this since it might be a different file even though it has the same name.

Ultimately, before I delete any files, i want to verify that they are in fact duplicates. Currently, my files are such a mess that I need something like Calibre just to get them all in one place where I can even begin to sort out the dupes.

Any help would be much appreciated.
DragonsDream is offline   Reply With Quote