View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #57
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
I really like seeing the omnibus option, too. Picked up the Corbett last week...
And Doherty really does have a ton of series! I discovered him through the Brother Athelstan series earlier this year, parts of which my library has digitally, then I bought the rest (several of these are also reduced price from Severn, now.) Really enjoyed them - then I tried the latest Canterbury book but was surprised not to like it. Also picked up the first Mathilde of Westminster but haven't gotten to it yet...

Anyway, speaking of omnibi(?), saw this one recommended on the Amazon mystery forum last month - first three in Eric Wright's Charlie Salter series. Apparently he's a Canadian, published in the 80's, now self-pubbing the first three:

A Charlie Salter Omnibus for $7.19

Eric Wright's popular detective, Charlie Salter, is introduced in this collection of the first three books in the well-loved mystery series: The Night the Gods Smiled, Smoke Detector, and Death in the Old Country. Self-righteous and outspoken, Salter has gotten himself shunted to routine duties from what he considers the "real" police work of investigation. However, circumstances give him the chance to redeem himself, and his intelligence and sensitivity guide him through the cases that follow. Interwoven in the detective work, Charlie's wry humour and perception and his personal relationships and family life add extra dividends and enjoyment for the reader.

I also picked up:

The Complete Dangerous Davies by Leslie Thomas for $14.37...

...even though the Book Description says: NA
Looks like there's also a UK TV series.

From a customer review:

Greatly enjoyed these three mysteries -- they are ruefully funny as well as truly intriguing and capture the atmosphere of a a gritty West London suburb very well. Dangerous Davies, the rumpled and somewhat battered detective constable of the title, is a loveable character, who is truly good and kind as well as truly in a muddle most of the time. I came to like his feckless sidekick and perpetually unemployed drinking buddy, and also his lovely West Indian girlfriend.
Both are also available at Kobo, and Bargainmoose40 works on both.

For the Salter omnibus it's a good deal - $7.39 becomes $4.33; for the Dangerous Davies, not so great - $20.99 (!!!) becomes $12.59, which is a bit less than Amazon ($14.37) but not a lot.

Anyway, just another option...I'm getting into far too much trouble with that Bargainmoose40 code
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote