View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #878
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
(And thanks to seabream for sharing a sample from personal.ini. I'd love to see more sharing of personal.ini stuff as I imagine many of us are making the same sorts of changes and duplicating effort as far as changing "Harry P. to Harry Potter" and other things like that. Also gives me ideas for tweaks to my own.)
My own personal.ini is actually very simple. Leaving out user/password blocks:
Spoiler:
Code:
# Library

[defaults]
is_adult: true

## I uncomment this if I do update on more than a few stories.
#slow_down_sleep_time:1

include_subject_tags: extratags, genre, category, status

strip_chapter_numbers:true
add_chapter_numbers:true

[epub]
include_tocpage: false
include_titlepage: true
include_logpage: true
logpage_entries: dateCreated,datePublished,dateUpdated,numChapters,numWords,status,title,author,category,genre,rating,warnings,description

include_images:true
keep_summary_html:true
make_firstimage_cover:true

I always download epub and the only custom columns I fill with FFDL are chapter count, word count and last updated time.

I do, however, use it with Reading Lists extensively to keep my three devices sync'ed. More on that below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
What I'm curious about is: what's the fastest and best way to do this? Converting within calibre? Downloading twice via plug-in from AO3 or whatever? (Is there a better way? I doubt it would save much in the way of resources to have an option to grab both mobi & epub, but then I'm not clear on what all happens with the plug-in behind the scenes so could be wrong there.)
Definitely converting within calibre, IMO. You'll get much nicer mobi that way that can contain images and has correct chapter markings. I've never directly compared the time spent vs downloading again, but I expect it's similar while not wasting bandwidth.

I keep both epub and mobi around for my nook and kindle. I use the the Reading List features to keep my 'to read' on 'add to nook', 'add to kindle', and 'add to droid' lists, plus configuring the lists to auto-sync to my devices.

That, combined with the 'Delete other formats' option of FFDL, means calibre automatically converts my new epubs to mobis and transfer them to the device whenever I plug in my kindle. I have 'u' and 'r' hotkeys set to the 'Add to "To Read" and "Send to Device" Lists' and 'Remove from "To Read" and add to "Send to Device" Lists' FFDL options.

There's a slightly out of date explanation of my process here. I've optimized my reading flow a bit since then, but it's still a workable version.