View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #62
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
I'd agree that perhaps Cloud storage is OK for typical, casual user. But there are many situations where it just won't work:
  • Travelling on a plane, ship, bus or coach which doesn't have WiFi
  • Using the device outside of urban zones (trekking, at sea etc.)
  • Professional (or semi-pro) uses. Quite often one needs many files on hand (references, presentations, databases etc.) and just can't wait till they download from the cloud
  • Personal videos. I can understand that there are many people for whom commercial movies are enough, but there are quite a few who like to shot, admire, share and store their own! Storing these in the cloud is a no-no!
  • Photographers: Kindle Fire could have been a nice device to review the photos you have just shot, on a relatively big screen, if only it had an SD slot!

In fact, I could give half a dozen situations from my own experience when there was no access to the internet and I badly needed a particular file. Luckily, it was there - on my pendrive or SD card. Perhaps the most untypical was a situation when I needed some sheet music for a service in a church. There was no internet in the whole building but an SD card full of PDFs (which I had in my wallet) saved my life. I am sure many people would be able to recount a similar story when there was no WiFi (or it was too slow) and their only hope was a USB stick or SD card.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote