View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #220
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
But, I wonder, is it safe to access your account through a VPN? The connection to the store is usually ssl encripted, but what happens when you have some VPN service in the middle?
I am no networking guru, but as far as I know it works as follows:
- The VPN builds an encrypted tunnel from your PC to the VPN server in the US (the end of that tunnel in the US is what the B&N website sees).
- Your internet connection goes from your PC, through that tunnel, to B&N.
- If you login to your account an HTTPS connection is made between your PC and the B&N website. That HTTPS connection is a secure (encrypted) connection that goes through the VPN tunnel.
- Regular HTTP traffic wil be just a safe (or unsafe) as usual.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote