View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
I am also doing a similar research, not very seriously yet. Right now I'm dumping the images of the mounted partitions, using commands like this:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/extsd/data.img

In principle one can recover the partitions, by interchanging if and of. Of course, this will only work if the system is more-or less working (either WIFi + sshd, as I'm doing now, or adb over USB). I'll also dump the non-mounted partitions.

There must be a way (a special key combination?) which would initiate the system recovery, from mmcblk0p2 on a hardware level (even with a bricked unit). Does anyone know how to do that? I heard Kobo's customer support can be very helpful in this matters - may be I should send them an email. I tried many different combinations (simultaneously pressing two or more of power, volume up/down, back, menu, home buttons) - either from a powered on, or powered off positions, to no avail.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote