View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@doubleshuffle. I speak and write a single language, English, and there are perhaps some people who would dispute even that statement. Whilst I still suspect that the problems with the story are structural, I can certainly see how a literal translation only slightly modified could. as gmw put it, break a good story.
I know it is an old thread but, after reading this sentence, I wanted to give you my experience. Perhaps you only can see, I can say for sure that a literal translation can send a story to hell and beyond. You only can find how abhorrent it can be when you have to go to the original book to understand and make sense of a sentence that it is allegedly translated to your mother tongue.

And the funniest case (not) was when a translator changed a paragraph, so a character, instead of going to ask a person to get his work because he wanted to be with her wife, was going to leave his wife to be with the man.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 10-14-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote