View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
The use-case on #2 is: I have an old EPUB + I have a set of template files:
  • cover.xhtml
  • titlepage.xhtml
  • stylesheet.css
  • cover.jpg
  • [...]

I plop template files into the EPUB.

Many times, the old EPUB has the same common filenames.

If there was a conflict, then you should be able to overwrite/skip (just like you currently can with images).

Currently, you have to remember which HTML files were conflicts, then manually delete them out of your book, then readd the template files all over again.

Most of the time, I only notice the title page wasn't overwritten until quality checking, and then it's just easier for me to copy/paste code instead of using the Add Existing Files functionality.

This becomes quite the pain when the amount of replaced files becomes large.
I understand that. I do basically the same procedure, but I think the difference is the process we each use to create the final e-pub.

I have a--probably irrational--aversion to adding garbage code to my epub, so I create the new book basically from scratch, pulling in my template pages; then, from the original e-pub, I copy/paste only the body text into my template page, making sure not to include anything from above the <body> element. Also, normally I only need to copy from/to one page, as I have merged all the actual text into one file after placing a Sigil chapter break where I'm going to want a separation.

Kinda getting off topic here, though. This maybe would be more appropriate in the workshop forum. But maybe this'll help you avoid some of those issues.

Meanwhile, I notice that Kevin has jumped on the real issue in his normal prompt fashion, so thanks for that, K! Some of the weirdest issues crop up from supporting software on such wildly divergent platforms!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote