Thread: HTML formatting
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
MarcusStringer
MarcusStringer began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
How many traditional typesetters/typographers/etc know CSS? I'd bet the number is very low.
Agreed, and the problem is Publishers are heading to traditional typesetters like myself for solutions to producing ebooks (which is a natural progression IMO). Problem is they don't understand what's involved in such a venture.

Quote:
And by "layout" being up to the Reading Systems, I meant the actual text layout. As in the way paragraphs and lines flow and break, tracking, kerning etc. You can't control that when creating an epub book, and it's very important for physical books. Those would be the skills from traditional typography that are sadly left wasted for ebooks.
Is is my biggest problem...Crash course in XHTML + CSS to say "yes" we can do it... so we don't lose out on the potential massive market in this type of work... If we can offer a service of traditional typesetting as well as ebook production bundled together... It has to be the way of the future...

So I guess sortging out the best way to layout for traditional AND digital will be the challenge. Instead of creating one document in InDesign, Breaking it down the elements (title page, dedication pagee, chapter1, chapter2, etc) into seperate files then using the book feature, creating the epup file to ensure pages breaks.

Last edited by MarcusStringer; 03-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.
MarcusStringer is offline   Reply With Quote