View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #1816
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Hah, thanks! I already have it installed. This time I shall try again using the proper plugin. Pebkac it truly was.

EDIT: I tried "update metadata in device library" ticking the "Author" box. Three times, the result was "Books updated=0", a result confirmed each time when I ejected the device and saw nothing had changed.
Which means that, for the books and options you selected, the metadata in calibre was exactly the same as the metadata in database on the device. The update compares the metadata and only changes what is different. No books updated means everything was the same.
Quote:
I then tried ticking "Use Author sort" and that DID change a lot, creating 3 new "authors" by separating the initials from the surname.
Which is probably correct. Kobo uses a comma as the separator between authors. If your author_sort is of the form "LN, FN", Kobo will show "LN" and "FN" as separate authors in the Authors list.
Quote:
So I ran it again, with "Use Author Sort" unchecked, and it restored everything to how it was before I started - 6 showing the initials with periods, 15 without.
Which means your calibre library has 6 books with the author as "A.B. Person" and 15 with the author as "AB Person". Or maybe you have "A. B. Person" (which is the way calibre generally does it if the when downloading metadata) and "A B Person". Or some combination of all these.

All this sounds like it is working correctly. But, it doesn't sound like you fixed the metadata in the calibre library. If these books are all by the same author, select them in calibre, click the button to edit the metadata and the bulk metadata editor will open. There you can fix the common metadata such as the author and author sort. Then do the update to the device.

If it still doesn't work, I need to see a debug log from updating the metadata on the device. Run calibre in debug mode (right-click the preferences button and choose "Restart in debug mode"), connect the device, use the metadata update on the books that you have a problem with and close calibre. The debug log will be displayed. Post the full log or PM it to me and I will look at it to see what is going wrong.

Also, we should move this to the Kobo Utilities plugin thread as this is not a problem with the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote