View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
It does exist; LCD based. Cadillac had a proto of an automatic windshield that varies the opacity according to incoming light.
Not just a proto. There were commercial models (other marks, Saab among them, i think, or Volvo) with LC-based window tinting. Also, a lot of cars today use LC's to auto-tint the central rear-view mirror when someone driving behind you hits it with high beams.

There were also some house windows mentioned installed somewhere (again, can't remember where ) and i recall reading about a prototype window containing both, a transparent photovoltaic layer and an LC layer, sandwiched between the glass panes.

On a side note, transparent e-paper could create some interesting new possibilities for user interfaces... Stacking sheets with annotation on sheets with content, for example (in a "dumb" way, like overhead transparencies, or with some imbued "intelligence", i.e. sheets "sensing" one another's content and position).

Last edited by orcinus; 07-05-2007 at 03:22 PM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote