View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #57
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Recently I was at the home of an American writer. He has written about 10 or so books over the last 30 years. One of them hit really big, and was made into a Major Motion Picture. The rest did ok, some died quietly, I think. He also writes for a newspaper.

Here's the thing. This guy lives really well. He has a penthouse apartment in Manhattan, and a really nice art collection. Is that what ONE really big book gets you? If that one book is big enough? Is that what a movie option gets you, if the movie gets made and does ok?

eP
Some people hit the big score. Most don't do that well, even people who are successful. It reminds me of the "artist lifestyle". There are some artists who hit it big, and live in grand expensive houses and go to the right parties. Most don't. The starving artist meme exists side by side with the contradictory idea of the artist with the grand lifestyle. More artists will live the former rather than the latter. But I have run into artists who really seemed to think they really should be living the grand artists' lifestyle.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote