View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #424
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
So, are you saying you can install your own font into Coolreader, Moon Reader, and FBreader and are not limited to their own in-app options?** If I want Adobe Garamond to be in all my books, all I have to do is install it into Moon Reader? That's news to me. If so, just one more reason a serious reader of books who's picky about formatting and fonts should go with Android over iOS.
Correct.
On my Sony T1, I use coolreader 3 in dual column landscape mode using the Georgia family as my default font. If the epub has a hard-coded font, there is a switch to disable the internal CSS and use *my* defaults.
On Android, you create a /fonts folder in the root of the sdcard and the ttf fonts you put there are available for most of the apps that support it. (It's a common-sense convention. Plus it avoids wasting space with duplicate fonts.)

If you want to read with serif or sans serif typefaces, or handwriting fonts or even comic sans, you just copy the files and then set the font size (in one point increments, usually).

You can also adjust margins, line spacing, alignment, or hyphenation. And you can disable all the faux-pbook animations; no silly page turns of slides. Just tap and the next page just pops in. Much more immersive.

So yes, if you want a reading app that compares to the most flexible eink readers (Pocketbook, Onyx, etc) you can get there with android.

Me, I'm in the market for a hardcover class color reader and I had an eye on the Mini until I saw the price. Of course, if there truly isn't a single reader app that supports installable ttf fonts, that right there it's a non-starter even if the price drops or the screen improves. (Thanks for the warning.)

What I want is a tablet, as close to the size of a typical hardcover as possible, that'll let me read color magazines, comics, access the Kindle store as well as Nook and/or Kobo, and has at least one "Your-way" customizable reader app. SD card support highly desirable.

After the last week's announcements I'm converging onto either the Nook HD+ or FireHD 9. The Nook has the sdcard and is cheaper, the Fire *definitely* lets me load the reading apps I want. I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on them to test ergonomics and build quality, especially rigidity, but I can probably live with either.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote