View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... But that text layer is not what you "see" on the screen. The visual image does not contain text; it's a series of PostScript instructions of the "draw this shape at these coordinates" variety. This has nothing to do with "image only" PDFs; it's true for all PDFs. ...
Although your PDF knowledge is probably vastly superior to my own, it does not mesh with what I understand about PDF. According to (what I remember from) the PDF specs, PostScript instructions are used for page layout and vector art. And PDF files can contain embedded fonts used to render TEXT when it is being displayed. Unless the displayed content consists of pre-rendered text made up of vector artwork, it makes no sense to embed fonts. What are the fonts USED for if the text has already been converted to pre-rendered lines and curves?

Is it true for "all" PDFs? You are confusing me. Now I have to go find and read a PDF spec again...

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote