View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #1352
DarthSmeg
DarthSmeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
And my Kindle Touch is back!

My kindle was borked this weekend, probably after getting a corrupt bookfile on it. After attempting to restart the Kindle from the settings menu, it stopped at the boy-and-tree picture and never started completely.

I tried the Kubric solution, but once I got to the step where my Kindle was supposed to reboot into Diagnosttic mode, it no longer worked. My Kindle did reboot, but just kept displaying the boy-and-tree picture.

After much trial and error I finally got it all working again. Probably needed the exact right combo of image files on the various partitions as well as a kick in the charge-port.

Either way, some tips to those who maintain the guides:

* Some download links in the n00b guide no longer work (specifically those that point to gitbrew.org)

* Some info in the "Select boot" thread is incorrect (I've seen this pointed out and answered in a thread somewhere, but I can attest that it still causes confusion):
After unzipping the MfgTool into a folder of your choice, delete the folders from inside the Profiles folder, and copy the folders from inside the Kindle_bootmode.zip file into Profiles folder inside the MfgTool folder.

* An overview of the various states/modes a Kindle can be in, and what works when, would be helpful. It took a little time to understand that I needed one tool (imx_usb) to set the device in to fastboot mode, and then the fastboot tool to set it do diags mode. And that lsusb willl show different IDs depending on the mode it is in.

* I saw several posts which said I needed to install "matching diags kerne". While I understood the principle, it was not obvious which versions "match", as I could not find a "complete set" anywhere. The images on http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php combine 5.0.0 with 5.0.1 and the 5.1.2 set doesn't have a diags_kernel as far as I can see. A definite "use exactly these files" would be useful (and is what the n00b guide tries to do, but that does't help when some of the links don't work).

Anyway, I got it working thanks to all the info you fine folk have collected, so thank you! You saved me about $120
DarthSmeg is offline   Reply With Quote