View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
This one is probably going to be getting close to politics, but I want to try to keep it writing-related. So I'm not going to be talking about my personal views or opinions of these authors, but trying to figure out how these authors got away with it.

Ayn Rand sets up straw opponents in almost every single work she wrote. So did Orwell in 1984, and Bradbury in Farenheit 451. In none of their major works, do the protagonists face realistic antagonists. Reading them, or summaries, makes me feel like they were scripted like a children's cartoon where the villain goes on long diatribes about how they're in it "for the evulz" and all that.

If a modern author was trying to do something that blatant, whether politically- motivated (as all three were) or not, they'd likely get panned to destruction. But they weren't for some reason. They're still lauded as writers of classics, and usually on most schools' reading lists.

How the heck did they get away with it?
see General Discussions "9000 rough men" for Orwell genius

Last edited by forsooth; 04-29-2013 at 07:51 PM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote