View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Kent,
I may miss-understand your reply but, the DR will charge and allow access to files if you answer yes, if you answer no, it just charges.
No, I’m sure I was wrong about that; I always answer message screens, and I don’t use my Mac for charging anything--Sometimes the Mac doesn’t charge while it’s sleeping, and sometimes devices connected to hubs, including the keyboard, spontainously disconnect (a problem with static electricity and the USB shield ground, I suspect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
One of the problems is that not all usb outputs on all PCs, laptops etc are equal...

Wrt wall chargers, provided the output is 500mA or greater, the DR should be okay.
To the list of usb outputs on PCs and laptops can be added hubs and wall chargers--they have all given me problems--and some adequately powered wall chargers won’t work with some devices because they lack the circuitry the device requires (not a problem with the DR). Some good stuff about USB chargers can be found at instructables.com. (I made my ‘best one’ myself, from a 12 v. 2 amp transformer feeding 1 Firewire and 2 USB ports--it always works.)

It was my turn to jump the gun; I was just trying to get KingDani up and running--sorry.

Kent
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote