View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Why do you feel that an upgrade in any product must be based on time rather than a genuine necessity for improvement? The current displays are not problematic, they are not being complained about. They work well.

I am quite happy with my devices, I cannot see any area concerning the display that needs improving. I think that you are being unrealistic and somewhat disingenuous.
Has any upgrade really been a necessity of improvement. Vast majority of the time, the current version works just fine, but doesn't mean it couldn't benefit from some sort of newer release. Also, just because you do not see areas that need improving, doesn't mean it cannot improve, or that others (or even yourself) wouldn't find it more useful if they were improved.

For instance, eInk could be improved with higher resolution panels, plastic substrates for higher durability, higher contrast levels with more of a true white background, and higher refresh rates. The plastic substrate would be great, as it would mean fewer shattered displays. If they could do higher resolutions, it would be easier to have eInk displays in different devices. For what I do, a smart phone is the best bet, due to the internet connection and ability to sync email, contacts, notes, tasks, and calendar info. Vast majority of what I do on my smartphone is pure text, and so could benefit from an eink display, but I'd have a huge drop in resolution compared to my current phone. Also, if more work was done to push larger eInk panels, we could get a device that works better for tech documents, textbooks, etc. Much of those are in PDF, which sucks when scaled down, or are in a manner that does not reflow well. Personally, I'd like to see an eInk panel in a tablet device. Current panels, and their corresponding controllers (largely the controllers), are too slow to be useful to do any heavy use in a tablet. If I had a device that I could view my textbooks on, and quickly write down my class notes, with eInk, I'd love it. Right now, I either need to use pen and paper, or an LCD device that quickly drains the battery. In some of the demos, they've shown eink panels doing video, but what commercial eink device is able to do that? I'm not saying I necessarily want video, but if they could get refresh to be that quick, I could write something on the tablet in realtime, rather than write it down and have it appear after I've already stopped.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote