View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've always done a backup of my Kindle by copying everything visible to a dated folder on one of my hard drives. Since most of my books come from sources other than Amazon (I read a lot of PD books) I can't rely on their archive for most of my library.

What modest number of personal annotations I make are easy enough to access from the My Clippings.txt file. Here is a clip of a section of the file that shows some notes I made while proofreading a book, Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett, I was working on:

Spoiler:

Red Harvest (Dashiell Hammett)
- Note Loc. 1384 | Added on Friday, September 24, 2010, 12:27 PM

incorrect <p> just after 'Sure you was,'
==========
- Note Loc. 1434 | Added on Friday, September 24, 2010, 12:37 PM

false p here
==========
Lysistrata
- Note Loc. 58 | Added on Friday, September 24, 2010, 05:44 PM

whoops... should be self and no extra space
==========
- Note Loc. 1491 | Added on Friday, September 24, 2010, 05:56 PM

look...
==========
- Note Loc. 1938 | Added on Friday, September 24, 2010, 11:15 PM

chapter out of order
==========

You can see that I took a break from RH and read a little of Lysistrata before returning to RH.

Since the mobi format's "location" numbers are consistent across all devices and all user settings (text size, display orientation, ...) the annotations can be matched up to the original text on any replacement device.

Last edited by dwig; 02-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote