View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #201
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty good for spur-of-the-moment writing, Bob! I don't think you've alienated or upset anyone, you've just stated the facts and your opinions, and very clearly at that. And I agree with pretty much all of it. Now, go rest your fingers, 'cause I know they must be tired!

I think you referenced the most significant part of this issue here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
If the Kindle is popular and wildly successful, it's hard to tell whether or not the level of popularity will be significant in the war for the marketplace. It might actually help, because as people get more familiar with e-books more quickly, they also might become more educated consumers. Or we might see a backlash from consumers against DRM...

All I hope for is that in the midst of the Kindle excitement, people don't lose sight of the far-reaching effects that a paradigm of closed content and strict DRM can have on the e-book marketplace if it becomes widespread. And that people understand that it will mean higher prices, more headaches, and repeated purchases as platforms change.
As you point out, it will be the public that either rolls over, or stands up and affects change. Publishers and authors providing alternative formats and sales models will help them see that there are other ways of doing things, but only the public can demand change and vote with their wallets.

As for me, I'm glad to be an alternative voice, while at the same time wading into the Kindle waters to see if I can actually get wet--because at this point, the Kindle is still an Insider's game, and despite its widespread popularity, may not earn Peons like me a single dime.

(In fact, if you check their contract, they will not send any earned funds to you until they surpass $100... which may mean that anything under $99 will never be sent to the author. One more part of their system that should be changed, IMO)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote