Thread: Classic Nook: the positives
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post

1. Nook is one of the best looking ereaders out there, and is relatively inexpensive.
2. LCD touchscreen is innovative and is a good way around adding an extra layer (Sony) or incorporating an expensive Wacom tablet (iRex).
3. Lending feature, even limited to once is a step forward for ebooks (not sure if authors and publishers are going to be on-board with this though; it's their discretion to allow this feature, like text-to-speech).
4. User replaceable battery.
5. B&N allows for reading their books on phones and PCs as well as the nook.
6. Custom screensavers.
7. Wi-Fi, even though there's no browser, customers visiting B&N stores can look through entire books.
8. Micro SD memory card slot.
9. Native PDF and ePub support.
10. Android OS.
Okay your reaching for some of the positives but at least your trying

1. Considering the old adage "Don't judge a book by its cover" arose from this industry, I can help but to smile when this is the number one factor in considering a device is based on looks.
2. I'll give you this, if the LCD SW is designed right the GUI can be an excellent experience and if not, a firmware release can fix most problems. However considering it a positive before any first hand experience I think it's putting the horse before the cart.
3. LendMe is Nice idea but completely impractical. At least with TTS you can make use of it immediately where as with the LendMe technology you have to share it with a another Nook user.
4. Yes!
5. Old news here. Heck Mobi supports more platforms and has a far supperior solution.
6. Your kidding right? Please tell me you are.
7. Yes++! If they allow transferring books and docs via wi-fi that would be awesome. If it's only to browse a book store it is a useless feature.
8. Again old news most support cards except kindle and. Sony 300.
9. That is big but again nothing new all newer readers support ePub/PDF.
10. Aside from the cool factor what does it matter what OS is under the hood?

One item you did not include was that you can buy books from Fictionwise, BoB, and
eRreader.com. buying the native ereader format.

Last edited by =X=; 10-27-2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Fixed my grammer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote