View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #65
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko22 View Post
I wonder if the reading of text on that device is as good as the monochrome one.
Probably yes and no and no.

The displays, I assume, are the same, but for the superimposed colour filter.

Greyscale Update would have anything rendered on the 1440x720x4bit matrix. BUT, the colour filter is there, and it must disturb a bit the image... That is like having a thin colour-thick curtain over your standard e-reader.

AND, the rendering may not be the usual - it depends on how it is engineered, and this matter is not perfectly clear. If the system thinks it has to display greyscale, it will go filling the 1440x720x4bit as usual. But it may think that it has to render colour, and for that it will use an unbelievable amount of dots, given the microscopic details of its Kaleido as I have seen it. In fact, normally I would guess 4 dots per coloured pixel, but this filter uses more tinted bars per EPD dot! According to goodereader.com, it uses a whopping 9, and that is weird to say the least.
So it depends on what the following from Michael Kozlowski means in practice (because what is key here is: when/where does the device decide to render taking colour into account, and when/where does it render as usual):

Quote:
Let’s talk about use case scenarios on the Hisense A5c. Say you are reading a standard ebook, the cover art on the first page will be in color and the display resolution will be at 100 PPI. When you turn to a page that only has black text on a white background it will display all of the content at 300 PPI, so text will be razor sharp. PDF rendering engines will display PDF files as an image, because that is basically what they are. These files will basically just display 4,096 colors at 100 PPI. If the PDF if a scanlation or was just made into B&W with no colors, it will display as normal. App icons will be at 100 PPI, and ditto with the color UI of the apps.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote