View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
for those of you who kept the Kindle over time, what is your long term perspective on ownership?
Very happy, perfect for one as RSI-afflicted as I am. Shame I can't replace it, but I do have an extended warranty so I have two years to get a replacement if I want one.

The only real problem with it is that the plastic housing is really fragile: if you drop it, you'll chip it, and if you chip it enough the metal layer underneath shows through. If that happens on the spine side, it'll get really uncomfortable to hold (since the metal will feel much colder than the plastic due to greater thermal conductivity) and need replacement.

Quote:
- have you had an issues with the connecting the cover for recharging?
Very rarely. Jiggling it a bit fixes it. If it's working, it won't stop working unless you disconnect it all the way, so it's not much of a problem: if it happens you'll know instantly, it won't fail in the middle of a recharge.

Quote:
- how even is the lighting (it would be great to compare against other kindles you may have owned)?
More even than my PW1 (the only other lit Kindle I ever owned). I can't see any shadow cones or anything except at maximum brightness, and maximum brightness is actually painful unless in full sunlight. No colour gradient that I can discern.

Quote:
- what kind of battery life do you experience for the KO1 without the cover? (pls share roughly the backlight levels you use)
This is somewhere where backlighting levels really have an effect. ~6--8 hours (depending on number of page turns) at backlight level 11; more like *twelve*, even with lots of page turns, at backlight level zero. So if you take it on holiday sans charger for a week, pretend it's an unlit Kindle and you'll get about 60 hours of reading time out of one full cover.

I really like the split cover scheme
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote