View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
... hold with one hand in bed (i lie on my back while holding it over my face/neck...not purely upside dow, but at a slight angle form vertical)
This is how I read with my Oasis1. It's the most comfortable ereader I've ever owned due to its incredible lightness. It's more comfortable than my Voyage.

Quote:
- have you had an issues with the connecting the cover for recharging?
Sometimes it doesn't automatically snap into place and I have to nudge it into alignment. But once everything's aligned, it stays connected. When I put my Oasis into its cover, I always check the battery setting to make sure it's charging. Then I know it's properly connected and can put it away.

Quote:
- how even is the lighting (it would be great to compare against other kindles you may have owned)?
- any color gradient issues you have "learned to live with"?
Both my Oasis1 and Voyage have slight color gradients. My Oasis has an even color shift from right to left that is only noticeable if I look for it. It does not bother me. My Voyage has a slight pinkish blotch toward the top. It doesn't bother me, either.

My Oasis has faint light cones, which don't bother me when I'm immersed in reading, but if I look for it (e.g., after reading too many MobileRead posts about screen defects ) I become more aware of it, which becomes distracting until I get immersed in reading again. (Note: I've seen photos of really bad light cones, which I would not be able to ignore. Fortunately, the light cones on my Oasis are faint.)

One thing I'm curious about: The Oasis1 was out-of-stock for a while and is now back in stock. I'm wondering if this new batch of Oasis1s may have better lighting as Amazon may have worked out some of the earlier quality control issues? Maybe?

Quote:
- what kind of battery life do you experience for the KO1 without the cover? (pls share roughly the backlight levels you use)
I'm quite pleased with the Oasis's battery life.

I usually only read for an hour or two at a time, and then I pop my Oasis back in its cover while I do something else. When I start reading, the Oasis is usually around 93% (supposedly that's a normal battery management thing; the only time I see it at 100% is after charging the Oasis+cover on ac). After an hour or two of reading without the cover, the Oasis is usually around 80-85%. On the rare occasions that I read uninterrupted for three or four hours, the battery goes down to maybe 60-70%. I have never read long enough for it to go below 50%.

My light setting is usually 10-11. Also, I have poor eyesight, so use big text, which means frequent page-turning. If I used smaller text (so less frequent page-turning), I suspect battery life would be even better.

Last edited by odamizu; 11-15-2017 at 01:38 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote