View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
... I'm not sure why you are asking. Are you just unsure how it works, or are you having a special problem? As Tovare noted, it is very straightforward. However, if you are having a problem, there are three different issues that some have reported.

1) There are some reports that their new Kindle Touch is having problems charging. It will be plugged in a long time (overnight?), and the charge light never turns from amber to green. I would consider this a fault and get it replaced if I was you. One of the pleasures of doing business with Amazon is that they are extremely generous and easy when handling returns. Just contact customer service and your replacement Kindle will be in your hands within 1-2 days. Returning your current Kindle will be free and easy. You can even wait until you get the replacement and use the box from the replacement to ship the old Kindle back.

2) Some computers have USB ports that don't put out sufficient power. If this is the case, you might try another computer, use a powered USB plug, or easiest of all, buy a charger that accepts a USB cable for $10 at Target or Walmart in the U.S. I know you aren't looking for USB charging, but I'm including this in case this post comes up when someone does a search on "Kindle Touch charging problems".

3) When you load a new book on the Kindle, the device will index the book so that you can perform searches at a later date. If you get a new Kindle and immediately load on many books (hundreds, thousands), it has a lot of indexing to do. In this case, your battery might drain quickly because the Kindle is doing a lot of hidden background work to perform the indexing. This is temporary, and after the first charge or two indexing will be completed and battery life will return to normal.

Last edited by emellaich; 01-30-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Typo's/grammar
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote