View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
(Project) Drawgress Bar — KUAL extension

Dear MobileRead community,
I really miss the old full-scale progress bar. I even wrote feedback to Amazon and asked them to return it. Meanwhile I am waiting for them to take actions, I gathered some thoughts.
I hope for your help! Let's finish this together

Goal: to write a KUAL extension that non-intrusively draws full progress bar line with chapter marks (both level 1 and level 2) on each page turn (every-page turn script example is Showtime).
By 'non-intrusive' I mean that it should be more like an overlay written as a script, rather than Java-Bytecode patch.
Hoping that methods of getting book info stay the same, this extension should be compatible with future updates.

Script outline is given below. I only half-finished drawing script, due to lack of experience in bash.
Attached an example of such a progress bar (drawn in fbink manually)

Spoiler:

Initial conditions:
- define/determine screen size

Once book is open:
- get book size (location/pages) (value)
- get chapter count, level 1 and level 2 (values)
- get chapter sizes, level 1 and level 2 (vectors)
- get current position
- draw progress bar with fbink

Every Page turn:
- get current position
- redraw

Drawing method:
1) Draw 100%-width of light-gray progress bar
Code:
fbink -t regular=/usr/java/lib/fonts/Baskerville-Regular.ttf,size=7,top=1415,bottom=0,left=350,right=0 -B GRAYC "                                                                                                     "
2) Draw in loop 1%-width parts up to read percent dark-gray progress bar (from i=0 to read_percent)
Code:
fbink -t regular=/usr/java/lib/fonts/Baskerville-Regular.ttf,size=7,top=1415,bottom=0,left=350,right=50 -B GRAY7 "  "
3) Draw in loop up to number of level 1 chapters
Code:
fbink -t regular=/usr/java/lib/fonts/Baskerville-Regular.ttf,size=7,top=1415,bottom=0,left=350,right=50 -O "|"
4) Draw in loop up to number of level 2 chapters
Code:
fbink -t regular=/usr/java/lib/fonts/Baskerville-Regular.ttf,size=7,top=1415,bottom=0,left=390,right=50 -O "·"
So for PW3 (1072x1440, 300 dpi) I have my progress bar located from 350th pixel up to 950th pixel. Each 1% refers to 6 pixels. In the first fbink command there are 101 spaces (somehow fbink doesn't draw with command of " " (1 space), but " " (2 spaces) command produces in fact 1 space), so in fact each 6 pixels is 1% of the book length.
I hope that for other resolutions it should be trivial to scale down/up.

For now I am really stuck with:
— Getting info about current opened book
— Getting pages/locations, chapters info
Where do I even start?
I remember that native booklet is in Java, but I don't know how to extract working values from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_01_16T00_36_59-0500.png
Views:	497
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	169126  
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote