View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #44
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
One word keeps popping into my mind : ZUNE

Microsoft is about 2 years behind the times
Microsoft had slates about 10 years ago, in the XP era. Apple of course had killed Newton, and Palm etc had a variety of resistive surfaces. They didn't find a consumer niche though Motion et al, generated an industrial one -- and that's where Microsoft has historically positioned itself.

What has changed has been the UX, and honestly time for the consumer market and some of the hardware tech to catch up. Capacitive multi-touch in particular.

As for Zune: it developed a loyal following. It was an excellent device but largely ignored due to (IMHO) insufficient marketing and (often) retail stores willfully failing to sell it (by never displaying it, for example -- I would occasionally check stores casually, to see what they were doing). WinPhone has similar issues (Verizon, for example.. compare to AT&T).

Another difference? I'm actually *seeing* commercials this time. To quote a line I saw elsewhere recent "Microsoft finally found it's marketing department!"

But overall, the choice of any tool is the one that fits most comfortably with how you try to use it. Even if you might have a better experience by taking a compromise and changing a work habit, that is the driver.

Though it's great Apple found a way to generate consumer interest, I really don't care what Apple had, when. Apple doesn't fit my life.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote