View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #1025
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Well, I did get to TRL this afternoon and aside from forgetting the piece of paper on which I scribbled the titles, things went well. I got the "Hellements of Hickonomics" and had no problem photographing all 84 pages. Well some problem, two pages are slightly blurred because the page moved while I was shooting them. They are legible but ScanTailor really butchered them.

The jpg files from the camera are about 240Mb and the raw files (these are uncompressed, unprocessed files but are only useful if you can handle Panasonic RW2 files) are about 15 times larger.
I use my Panasonic DMC-LF1 to shoot these. It's a 12Megapixel camera with 3000 x 4000 resolution. I prefer to use this camera because it is silent and I can control it with my Nexus tablet.

It took me about 12 minutes to photograph the book. I waited longer for it to retrieved from the stacks. I checked again and the the library policy allows me to photograph any book in the library as long as a) I don't disturb other patrons b) I don't use a flash c) I don't damage the book.

The files from ScanTailor are only 10Mb. There are 9 black and white line drawings in "Hellements". Since I want to go back to the library soon for the Oen book, I'll probably redo the substandard pages of "Hellements" although the jpg files are legible.

I'm surprised by how little of Leacock's work is available. I would have expected Gutenberg Canada to have far more of his work. His short stories were always part of the public school curriculum in the '50s.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote