View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
No, as far as I know, kindlegen (probably version 1.x?) just ignored the width:"70%". This was published in mid-2011, about 3 months before Amazon introduced KF8 to the public.

At that time, I didn't realize that image dimensions had to be in pixels, so I didn't understand why it wasn't working, only that it didn't work as expected at first. What I ended up doing (I think -- my notes are a little vague) was to manually resize each individual image to an appropriate width, determined by trial-and-error using an actual Kindle 3 (which at that time, of course was a KF7 device.) Thus, a jpeg with a width of 360 px would give an equivalent to width:"60%" on the K3's 600x800 screen. In my case, the K3 didn't blow up the images to full screen.

So, no, looks like you have to end up with image sizes in pixels in the epub you run through kindlegen. Perhaps your plugin could convert % to px, based on a standard (perhaps user-definable) screen width in pixels?

Albert
Albert:

That's what the plugin is doing--it's putting in two image calls, one for KF8, one for KF7, each hidden from the other for display, and it sizes the KF8 in % and the KF7 in px. The only remaining ponderment, right now, is testing the DX emulator against the device, to find out if the DX has a display glitch, possibly like the Voyage, above 50%. (Plus, Bill/William/Slowsmile has had some weird thing...he's seeing something displaying, in KF7, as though it were KF8 % coded, which we know is not possible, so perhaps we can figure out why he's seeing that or what he's seeing, or..?)

I plan to take a test ePUB, and make various sizes of the same image, then build the MOBI.

I'm still thinking about the optimal physical size of the iamge to test, but I thought I'd do something like this:

Image (orig. size, say...IDK, 1000px wide?)
KF8-10%
KF7--a calculated 10% in px.

(I obviously won't be using hidden, b/c that isn't the point of the exercise; seeing them against each other, is.)

KF8-20%
KF7--a calculated 20% in px.

Lather, rinse, repeat, for each increment of 10%, through 90. I mean, at 100%, we know what we'll get.

My one question is about the best original image size to use, so that we don't run into the same thing I ran into yesterday--where an image displayed at 100% because it was physically larger than the screen (my device that's th KF7 testing device is a K2, believe it or not.) The size of the screen is only 600x800px.

So, if either of you lads want to make that file for me, to expedite my end at the testing, or has suggestions about the original image size, etc., I'm happy to hear it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote