View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I've only read one book on that list: The Handmaid's Tale. I enjoyed that book but it took some maturity to do so. I admit that when I was assigned to do so in high school, I only read a quarter way through before deciding I hated it. I decided to try again last year and felt very differently about it.
The first thing that drew me into Atwood's novels was the cadence. Because I started as a pianist and poet even as a little boy, I could be carried along purely by rhythm from page to page. Atwood had that in Surfacing and Life before Man (the first books I read by her) and that continued with The Handmaid's Tale. The feminist allegory and SF dystopian aspect were second nature to me because we had a lot of feminist books and magazines in the house and every child reads 1984.

I doubt that most kids are likely to get swept up by Elizabethan/metaphysical poetic rhythm unless they have unusual experiences that connect them to those sounds. Children do tend to be sensitive to rhythm, but not necessarily that kind.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-02-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote