View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #55
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh but it gets worse, Marj! I feel you on the frustration of not being able to write as much. I don't see another alternative other than putting a few query letters in the mail to agents every now and again. There's no rule saying an indie author has to stay indie.

Continuing on with my thoughts on blogging. Here are some concepts I've been considering. Some of which are my own name designations.

Above the fold: borrowing from the days of direct mailing, the most important stuff should be on the top third of a blog page.

F-Scansion: (my name designation) "Studies have shown" (or so I'm told) that people surfing websites tend to move their eyes in an F-shaped pattern: First back and forth in broad strokes at the top, then the strokes narrow until eventually the just start reading straight down. The structure of your blog can exploit this habit!

Standardization: If all posts on a blog have a similar or near identical structure, it will be easier for the end user to scan from post-to-post and find what catches their eye.

Analysis Paralysis: Too many options to click on a post or a page can frustrate a reader, causing them to freeze-up and just back out of the page.

Overselling: Too many offers on the homepage of a blog.

Eye-anchors: the places where the eyes must consistently move on a page to read the beginning of a line or a paragraph.

But this is all just food for thought. The best way, in my view, to improve one's blog is to study the layout and structure of people who are already getting the desired results.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote