Thread: Plagerism Okay?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
No. We are talking about what an author did - you call it plagiarism, I (for the moment, until I know more about it), don't. There is no fact of the matter about it - there is your opinion and there is my opinion.
Just an example:

Helene Hegemann tried to justify herself. (Full article in german here)
Quote:
[..]Airen, von dem ich insgesamt eine Seite, ohne sie groß verändern zu müssen, regelrecht abgeschrieben habe, ist ein großartiger Schriftsteller, dessen Blog im Internet einen Teil der alternativen Lebensweise, über die ich berichten wollte, auf den Punkt gebracht hat [..]
I will try a translation (hint about Airen made by me):
Quote:
[..]Airen (another german blogger and author of the book "Strobo"), from whom i copied a page without the need to modify it, is a great author and his blog in the internet is putting the part of alternate lifestyle that i wanted to talk about in a nutshell [..]
The statement made by the publisher:
Quote:
Natürlich haben wir Helene Hegemann vor Drucklegung ihres Buches gefragt, ob sie Quellen oder Zitate verwendet hat. Sie verwies lediglich auf ein Zitat von David Foster Wallace, für das wir eine Abdruckgenehmigung eingeholt haben. Offenkundig hat sie die Tragweite dieser Frage unterschätzt und ist auf Quellen und Zitate aus dem Netz - wie etwa den Blog von Airen - nicht eingegangen.
Translation:
Quote:
Of course we asked Helene Hegeman whether she has used other sources or quotations before we released the print edition. She mentioned only a quotation of David Foster Wallace and we got his permission to use that quotation. Obviously she (Hegemann) underestimated the question in all its bearings and didn't mention other sources and quotations taken from the internet, for instance Airen's blog.
Another example: Helene Hegemann also used the songtext of a song called "F**k You" by a band called "Archive" as content of a letter in her book. She just modified some wordings. She didn't ask for permission.

I gues calling her work or at least parts of it "plagiarism" is justifiable.

Last edited by netseeker; 02-21-2010 at 11:42 AM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote