View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Good things to keep in mind. Dialogue is one of those tricky beasts where what works in an actual conversation doesn't actually work on a written page. The hard part is using the tricks of writing to make the latter seem like the former.
I agree with this, sometimes if you make it too realistic, the dialogue actually becomes less realistic or "try-hard", it can also appear messy and difficult for the reader to read.

I think Irvine Welsh is the master of writing dialogue, he uses Scottish phonetics, but once you get it, it is like you are having a conversation in a pub with someone.

I write in first person and use a lot of slang. I use some phonetics. Instead of using he said, she said I usually cut from one sentence to the next.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote