View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #724
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Sabredog, I almost did not reply to your post, because I didn't want to annoy people more than I guess I already have, but please take it from me that it's not my goal to annoy anyone, just to let people know that the t1 has some PDF limitations as compared to the x50 series. So I'll just say my piece, allow you and/or anyone to reply, and leave it at that in this thread. I'm truly sorry if my protests are tiresome, but I respectfully disagree with some of your points, as follows:

a) "For any PDF to be successfully and easily read on a 5"-6" ereader, it needs to be source formatted to suit. Most PDF's available for sale are not. Thus it is hardly the ereaders fault it cannot display a PDF not tailored for use on an ereader. "
Well, how does that explain that a simple *text only* PDF should display fine on the x50 series but not on the 6" T1? It's *not* a matter of screen size, but of software support, and if Sony claims PDF support, then it should do the best job it can, or at least as good a job as it's done in the past. Sony has already established what a top notch job it can do with its x50 series, which are 5"-7", all of which support PDF better than the 6" T1.

b) "As I said to you before. If you have issues with the T1, you can use either of your two 7" PRS-950's or get a 10" tablet (iPad or similar). Problem solved for you."
Sure, solved for me, but why should I not attempt to warn people thinking of getting a T1? It's hardly off topic, as Sony claims PDF support in the T1, and reflow support at that. I think I'm on topic here.

c) "The PRS-T1, with the latest firmware, is a fine ereader and is a recommended consideration for purchase."
Yes, it is indeed excellent, but only for ePub. It's PDF support is good to mediocre and I feel that I have a right to warn people about this aspect.

In conclusion, I do realize that I've repeated myself, but I also feel that I have a right to warn anyone considering the T1, especially those who say they think PDF support is important. I apologize if I've done it in a repetitious and annoying way. Well, that's it for me in this thread.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote