View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #17
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
For office, reading and academic use I think you need four things to happen before you could consider tablets would replace most paper usage;

- longer time between recharging (better batteries or lower power devices)
- large format slates (A5 and A4)
- colour
- handwriting, drawing capture

eReaders tend to focus on 1 while Touch pads like the iPad address 2 and 3. Tablet PC's address 2, 3 and 4.

I have used a Tablet PC and a Sony Reader to avoid using paper for reading and office applications since 2006. I don't expect a single device to address all these issues anytime soon and plan on getting an A5 reader and an A4 Tablet PC/Slate this/next year.

I don't plan on getting iPad since it is not a good enough note taking solution, simply duplicates the web browsing/media playing I have on my Tablet PC/phone and is not well suited to an Enterprise IT environment. In any case Jobs has pronounced that stylus will not be supported so that rules out the iPad for me for the foreeable future.

I wonder what rationale the Saskatchewan government is using to justify acquiring lots of iPads that they didn't apply in the last couple of years when office tablet solutions were already available...
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote