View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I think Apple may have misfired with their marketing a bit. They focused a bit too much on it being a device between a phone and a laptop/netbook, and most people don't see the need for such a device right away.

They should have had stylus support built in and really sold the reading, markup and note taking function. Really harped on how good magazines and newspapers look, comic books. Show students who they can get e-text books, and highlight them easily and carry that around instead of a bunch of heavy books.

And then show them that you can also do a bunch of games, all kinds of apps, browse the net, watch videos, e-mail etc.

But even then I don't know that the survey would have much better results. As much as I'm interested in a tablet, I know I unique being an academic and reading and marking up a ton of stuff--so I have a need for a electronic notepad type device.

Most people just don't need something between their phone and laptop, so tablet devices will always be a smaller market item than laptops, mp3 players, smartphones etc. that have broader appeal as more people see a clear use for them in their daily lives. But I do think there's a sizable niche that will be drawn to tablet devices if they're designed and marketed properly--they're necessary to go to a paper-less office, paper-less class room etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote