View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Before sending to my ereader, I take a quick look at an epub in ADE and/orThorium and/or calibre's ebook viewer—it takes about 3 pages for an edit/don't edit decision. About half the books need minor tweaks but there are some where you wonder about the person who created the ebook. Did they have a high school student as an intern who is learning InDesign on the job. Then you have the CSS and text files that look like entries in the obfuscated C contest.

Most often, the changes I make are settings the margins from the body tag to 0 and widows and orphans to 1. That way I can control the margins and avoid the $%^&* idiots who set the margins to ~2.5cm on every side—the paperback emulation view. My preferred editor is Sigil though I also use calibre's editor since there are tasks that are easier on one than the other. For the cleanup, I have a collection of saved searches for Sigil that make it fast and easy to clean up most epubs.
I do remember seeing one Kindle eBook (I think self-published) where the CSS was nothing but media queries. Quite a mess.

Vellum makes more of a mess of the code then InDesign. At least with InDesign, you can sort of see some method to the madness. With Vellum, it's madness to the madness with no method.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote