View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A quirk I noticed while putting the poll together is that the first seven nominations are, from east to west and from north to south when necessary, in order geographically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We've had exceptionally strong slates lately and here's another. My choices were next thing to random, because I'd love to read any of them.
Hear hear. I've been wondering if my tastes were becoming broader, because lately I've been wanting to vote for so many nominations each month. This month I kept my vote to a relatively conservative three, but I was considering up to six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
...I didn't vote for Hope as it doesn't strike me as from the region as much as the summary says it is about Moroccan's experiences in Spain...
It begins with their voyage across the strait, but then flashes back to their lives in Morocco and what cause them to attempt the voyage. From the Amazon description:

Quote:
In each scene, Lalami bring Moroccan culture to life, from the tree-lined suburbs of Rabat to the Douar Lhajja slum, "where couscous pots were used as satellite dishes."
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote