View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I tried this with another book from this forum in PRC format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18352

This book is on the Kindle store, but again its $2.39 vs Free... yes very little cost, but it adds up.

This time, I had airport mode on before going into the amazon app the first time... so it could not phone home at all. No way, no how. Still locks up after a few pages. Amazon just seems like a very "All your base are belong to us" kind of company to me with the Kindle. Anything this locked down is scary to me. They don't want you reading any book not acquired from them really.

Yes the Kindle store is easy, but

A.) They don't have all the books I currently have already in ebook format.

B.) I'm not paying for public domain books that I can get free elsewhere... just seems pointless to me.

Looks like I'm looking to another way to read books on both an ebook reader and my iphone.
If you've set up your account at Amazon. Go to "manage my Kindle". Add the email address you want to use to send converted books to your phone. Use one of the addresses to send the book to "youriphonename@kindle.com" and you should be good to go. Your free (non-DRM) book has been Kindleized for use with the Kindle app.

Though I can download your sample PD book and read it on my Kindle, the Kindle app has fewer features. Its purpose is to give you access to Kindle books (which many non Kindle owners have been clamoring for). Books you get elsewhere can be read on something else or need to be converted for use with the app.

Edit: The "@kindle.com" email option is not available for iphones or ipods.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-23-2009 at 12:34 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote