View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #40
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
arguably no, financially it was not worth all the stress, but I fought it on principle because Sony would not accept that it had just failed in normal use - all I ever did with the T3 was read in bed & place it gently on bed site table, never dropped it, never took it out of the house even.

Then it became a farcical Kafka-esque run around between dysfunctional / incompetent depts, and an insane final process that probably cost them almost as much in courier fees as the refund did.. over the course of this affair, Sony have paid for 5 courier visits + god knows how much email answering time ( but they probably pay those guys peanuts only, judging by some of their responses)

what really irked was the "catch 22" defence of we are not aware of any manufacturing issues ( because we routinely deny all such claims) and therefore it must be user damage

see my older thread called customer care Sony style for some of the silliest previous responses

I probably would have gone for small claims court, as threatened, as I figured they were too dysfunctional to even respond to a court summons & they'd have been up for contempt + a win by default for me. Would have been a hassle though. I got as far as downloading the paperwork and giving the recommenced 30 days notice in writing though...

I have never ever dealt with a company where a paper letters addressed to Complaints and to Legal just get ignored! When I worked for a big company ( a large bank) - any complaint send directly to office of chief executive had everyone running around like headless chickens until a suitable reply was ghost written for him. Most big company employees will vouch for the same. usually, a paper letter that starts with "this is a formal complaint" does get results.

I don't want to come across as a professional complainer but I've had several occasions where I've complained to financial institutions ( mostly over will+probate delays & cock-ups on behalf of my later mother) & a grovelling apology + a bit of compensation seems to be the norm)

But this Sony MD ( assuming he is still in post) is like the original invisible man: & other Sony execs on the same list are no better:
http://www.ceoemail.com/index.php ( then sesrch for Sony)

Sony UK UK Mr Christopher Bowen, UK MD

I would have gotten them sooner than this, via Mastercard "goods not fit for purpose" / UK consumer law section 75 chargeback rules , but Asda Card took the pedantic view that it was a £99 item & those rules only apply to items costing upwards of £100. Also, they intimated I'd need to have it inspected by an independent expert & who but Sony knows anything about the innards of their readers ???

Last edited by cybmole; 04-30-2014 at 09:32 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote