View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Howdy - I'm a brand new Kindle owner (yesterday) but I wanted to talk to 2 of your points.

First, eyes...I have bad vision too. My glasses prescription is something like -11 nearsighted AND -3.25 astigmatism. My contacts are about -8 and -2.75. I am never without my contacts or glasses except asleep or in the shower. I got the kindle yesterday and read a book on it last night at default font level 3 just fine (in my glasses). I looked at Font Level 4 and in low light I might switch to it but level 3 was fine in my living room. I might also consider level 4 if I turn on the auto page flipping (technically it is a "slide show" mode I think but when used in a book it is basically an auto page turner; it is a little fast for me at font level 3).

As far as ff.net, what I am looking at doing is using a tool that downloads a story and combines it (or I will combine it myself). For example, in the Format Conversion section, there is a thread on a tool called FLAG which you can use to download a story and which combines it into a single html file. Then you can run the html file through Calibre (Sony) or MobiPocket Creator (Kindle) for appropriate format and move to your reader. After finding out about FLAG I did a quick online search and there are some other tools like this too such as DeFFNetizer. So personally instead of reading online, I would download the stories. Then as far as the page flipping goes, the auto page turning might be nice. (Note: no way to change the speed of the auto page turns as far as I know which is why I'm considering changing font sizes for this). There may or may not be similar tools for fictionpress.

Last edited by texasnightowl; 08-21-2008 at 11:20 AM.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote