Thread: Sony nx70v
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2002, 09:51 AM   #3
rdj
rdj began at the beginning.

Running the latest release of iSilo 3.2 on the NX70V, all of the functions appear to work. The sole problem seems to involve font metrics used to display the text of a document. Lines of text are typeset properly horizontally, but vertically, each line is rendered over the lower half of the preceding line. (The list of documents and all dialogs and pop-up menus render fine, however - only document text is unreadable, and no preference settings seem to correct this.)

I believe that this problem is due to an incompatibility that was introduced, possibly due to hi-res support in Palm OS5, in Sony's Hi Res Library. They seem to address this issue in their Clie handheld/FAQ on http://www.us.sonypdadev.com/faq/index.html: " A compatibility layer will be provided to allow most High-Resolution applications to run on high-density CLIÉ™ handhelds. Unfortunately, this compatibility layer cannot reproduce the old High-Resolution behavior of the Font Manager's metrics functions (FntCharHeight, FntCharWidth, etc.). High-resolution applications that use these functions will need to be modified slightly to use new metrics functions (HRFntCharHeight, HRFntCharWidth)."

I have observed this difficulty with many other Palm apps for which a workaround usually, but not always,  makes the text readable: setting "low resolution display" where that preference is available.  What happens is that the app then uses the standard fonts which are rendered correctly. In most apps,, the graffiti area can be still hidden and the entire display area utilized despite the so-called "low" resolution setting.

Unfortunately, when I set Options / Display / Mode in iSilo to Normal (160x160), iSilo accepts the selection but seems to revert to Hi-res (320x320) upon dismissing the Display Options dialog.

I would be curious to learn whether the text would become readable if iSilo could be tricked into using the normal setting despite the presence of a high-res display.